Monday, June 11, 2012

Me, cameras and fx makeup

Every one wants their cake and eat it, too!
There is a lot of discussion going on about how DSLR cameras are breathing life into the wold of independent film making once again. I will admit this... it is a true statement.

But, Feral, what's a DSLR? SLR is an acronym that stands for Single Lens Reflex. These are what you picture when you think of cameras. The SLR acronym means that through clever set up of lens and mirrors, you are looking through the lens of the camera. When the camera takes a photo, the mirror flips up out of the way in what is called the "Reflex" action.

The D stands for Digital. I'm not sure who made the jump into the realm of professional optics on a digital platform. There are so many companies out there - Canon, Nikon, Olympus... One of them did it... (OBVIOUSLY). I will say that I am thankful that they did.

Let's start out with a little bit of my history. Before I discovered film making, I was a photographer and a writer. I started out with a little Olympus SLR that my grandfather bought for me at a thrift store. It was film. I used to develop my own film, enlarge... I did it all. I started out doing everything that people do in Photoshop in a dark room. That's right! I know what all those settings mean and actually do in real life.
Sony Mavica, Mudda-fucka!

Eventually, the costs started piling up. With my OCD, I go through phases where I won't shoot a single photo... then months and months of my camera being with me at every second of every day. With the price of film, chemicals, paper, etc... it was just too much. So... I bought a Sony Mavica. It was the best at the time. 1.8 megapixel magic with a built in 3.5 inch floppy disk drive. For those of you too young to remember, before thumb drives and cds, we had floppy diskettes.

I was still shooting on film for the longest time.

At the same time, I was getting into costuming and makeup. I LOVE making things that amaze and startle people. I was 17, and working on a robot costume. I will admit it... it was nothing more than plastic and some tin foil. I was still learning, dammit! (Still am, but now I have an idea of what to reasearch, because I know what I DON'T know.)

ANYWAY... I was trying it out on the front lawn when a "producer" drove by and stopped. They wanted my robot for their movie. (It totally got used, btw.) They never paid me and I never got the bot back, but that is a story for another day... lesson learned.

That's how I got started. I was bit by the film bug. I started in costuming and make up. To date, I have 7 different blood recipes, a couple types of gore, and know how to foam latex and gelatin. I have figured out how to do with $10 what others pay $150 for.
TIN FOIL ROBOT TO THE RESCUE!!!

I am not sure where I am going with this. Originally, it was supposed to be talking about the 12 minute time limit on the Canon DSLR video recordings. So... here's that... for what it's worth.


For those of you disparaging the fact that the canon d series can only record about 12 minutes of footage... I wanted to make it clear that it's not canon's limitation.

The camera uses the NTFS (NT file system) which is the standard for PC based computing applications. The NTFS and mac file systems both have the same limitation - a maximum file size of 4 gb.

So... we, as film makers have to make a decision... sacrifice bit rate (and therefore quality) or shoot in 12 minute increments.

For those of us on the T2i, we are able to use Magic Lantern and able to make some adjustments to bitrate, etc, but I won't, I like all my data.

So... let's stop leaning on canon and start pushing for a better file system

Imagine this on your SD cards!
Images in this issue SHAMELESSLY stolen from the following sources:

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/nikond700cake1.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiFG4M6-jVWwgIwat8h0Q7bLu4BJy8EY_4pnU_xEJo2l4xcAnN9qJowDGLr7bHVZkUTnbp9BLbmiPiGjWOBJKD-HObmPy_J11wBHYmANDjgL_Toe-DeZCnJybK6LG_F7JYD70DuFJ9hun8/s1600/mavica+fd5.jpg
http://www.wtfcostumes.com/costumes/carboard_robot_silver.jpg
http://libraryofdigress.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/bad-filing-system.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment